The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Holders march into semi finals

Bute Energy Welsh Cup holders Cardiff City ensured safe passage into this season’s semi finals with a 3-0 win over Pontypridd United at USW Sports Park.

The hosts failed to deal with two wide crosses and the Bluebirds capitalised as Siobhan Walsh and Tija Richardson both found the net to earn a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.

There were certainly positives to take for the Dragons, but any chances of a comeback were shut down when Eliza Collie added a third goal for Iain Darbyshire’s side in the 86th minute.

It was a tense battle at Park Hall as The New Saints prevailed 4-2 in a dramatic penalty shootout against Aberystwyth Town after the tie had finished 2-2 after 90 minutes. The visitors led through 16-year old Lleucu Mathias, who netted her fourth goal in the competition this season before Ella Hartley levelled for the Saints five minutes after the break.

Georgia Griffiths put Greg Draper’s side ahead on the hour mark after finding the net in the midst of a goalmouth scramble, but the hosts rued their missed opportunities on the attack and were punished when Seasiders substitute and cup debutant Gwen Mason delightfully lobbed Mackenzie Haydn-Jones from outside the box to send the tie to a shootout.

TNS went 2-1 up in the shootout when Modlen Gwynne had her spot-kick saved by Haydn-Jones. Helen Evans converted her penalty before both Libby Isaac and Danielle Staley  failed to hit the target for each side. Lleucu Mathias scored to give Aberystwyth slight hope, but Lia Lewis stayed calm under pressure to send the Saints into the final four.

Swansea City were the biggest winners in the quarter finals, storming to a 6-1 victory away to Genero Adran South side Cascade Youth Club. The home team took a shock early lead thanks to Erin Parry, but it lasted only four minutes as Stacey John-Davis levelled the tie before she found the net again in the 27th minute to complete a first half turnaround.

Kelsey Thomas’ strike, a Katy Hosford brace and debutant Jasmine Guymer’s stoppage time finish rounded off a statement victory in the Swans’ pursuit of cup glory.

Wrexham and Briton Ferry Llansawel rekindled their rivalry at The Rock and it was Steve Dale’s side who emerged as 2-0 winners. Ferry were able to stop Wrexham’s star striker Rosie Hughes from finding the net in last season’s Genero Adran Leagues promotion play-off, but this time she put her side ahead three minutes into the second half.

The Genero Adran South leaders gave everything they could in search of an equaliser, but were eventually caught out on the counter attack when Libby Mackenzie doubled Wrexham’s lead with 18 minutes remaining.

The draw for the semi finals of the Bute Energy Welsh Cup has been made. Fixtures are to be played on Sunday 3rd March at neutral venues to be confirmed.

The draw is as follows:

Swansea City v Cardiff City Women

The New Saints v Wrexham